Linen yarn is made from the fibers of the flax plant. Flax is a bast fiber, which means that it is obtained from the stem of the plant. The fibers of the flax plant are strong, lightweight, breathable, absorbent, and durable. Yarns with a linen blend are popular for both knitting and crochet across a range of projects:
- Warm weather projects: Linen is a good choice for warm weather projects because it is lightweight and breathable, which can help keep you cool and comfortable.
- Structured garments: Linen has a slightly crisp, firm texture, which can help create structured garments with a tailored look.
- Home decor items: Linen is a good choice for home decor items like placemats, napkins, and tablecloths because it is absorbent and durable.
- Projects that require drape: Linen has good drape, which means that it can create garments and accessories with a smooth, flowing silhouette.
- Projects that need a rustic, natural look: Linen has a natural, rustic appearance, which can be a nice contrast to more polished fibers like wool or silk.
Overall, linen is a good choice for knitting or crochet in situations where you need a lightweight, breathable, absorbent, and durable yarn that has good drape and a natural, rustic appearance.